Typically products and features for automotive are decided or conceptualized, based on below parameters
- Innovation – application of new ideas/technology to solve/create solutions, which can lead to new products
- Accident surveys – Understanding the cause for accidents and creating solutions (products) to overcome/reduce the cause impact
- Business need – Creating new products to cater customer preferences, expectations from OEM’s, etc..
- Competitor analysis – Benchmarking existing products (self and competitor) to better the product specs
- standard and regulations by government body – this leads to updating the existing products, or developing new product to adhere regulations
Automotive or any product development cycle will follow sequential steps – an idea/concept to series production.
Below detailed overview of product development life cycle been discussed.
To realize a product, many steps has to be surpassed. Standard product development life cycle starts with an idea/business need/problem statement, exploring concepts, evaluating and finalizing concepts with feasibility studies, development and testing, and end with production. In between/during these phases checks are made to detect and rectify problems early on.
Idea/study and POC :
- Detailed problem statement, solution & Voice of customer
- Technology benchmarking
- Market Potential analysis
- Competition landscape
- Prototype developed
- Feasibility study completed
- High level requirements derived
Product design :
- Failure modes and limitations identified
- System design & architecture development
- Design and validation and freeze
Product development & testing :
- HW and SW development
- SW and HW validation
- Product validation (relatability and endurance tests)
- Release to production
Series production :
- Planning for manufacturing
- End of line testing development
- Series production